Are you ever lonely? You know, sitting on the couch, watching The Bachelor by yourself, lonely? I know I’m not alone in my loneliness here 🙂 I am aware, that God is with me all the time and I am never truly alone, but there are plenty of times I just feel lonely. Let’s talk about that.
According to Webster, the word lonely means “sad because one has no friends or company“. But don’t you think it is so much more that that?
I mean what about when you feel lonely in the midst of friends and family? Or what about when all of your friends are just busy or your hubby is out of town? I’m talking about that kind of loneliness where it’s just you, alone. Just you, all day. Just… you… and you begin to dwell.
Loneliness is also defined “as producing a feeling of bleakness or desolation“. That is what I’m talking about. Flat out lonely.
Loneliness is complicated.
Especially these days. With all the screens, the texts, the emails, the social media… How do we really connect with one another? How do we make friends and fight the loneliness?
You see, this is kind of new for me. After so many years of raising the warriors, to find myself all alone for an entire day with pretty much nothing demanding my attention is very new to me. I mean, it’s not that there isn’t anything to do, right? I could always vacuum. I have plenty of projects. There is always something on Netflix. You get the idea.
But it’s not about not having something to do, it’s about the loneliness.
Well, let’s start with how about reminding myself that I am not alone.
- Deuteronomy 31:6 “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
- 1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.”
OK – I am truly not alone. I get it.
So how about a few strategies to deal with the loneliness.
- Rise and Shine – Get out of bed, put on your makeup, get dressed, and put on some great shoes. You will feel so much better.
- Get out of the house – today I went and met with a few entrepreneurs. Just being with other women, even women you don’t know very well is helpful. Get out. Chat. Smile.
- Commit to something – whether it be a project, a book, a task. Whatever you like. Set a small goal and commit to it.
- Phone a friend – call a girlfriend and set up a time to get together.
Loneliness is real, but it’s only an emotion. a state of mind, a situation to be remedied. It’s not the truth. The truth is that with God, family, and girlfriends I am never alone. And neither are you.